Friday, November 6, 2009

My Veterans Day Salute

Veterans Day (Wednesday, November, 11) is not just a day off of school. It is an opportunity for all of us to step back from political beliefs and to salute those who have served our country in the military.

We all probably know a few veterans. Some served in times of war and some in times of peace. Some paid for their loyalty to their country with their lives.

A few days ago a man came to my office asking, "Mr. McCombs, don't you remember me? It's me, Jacob, you were my assistant principal in middle school!" I definitely remembered him, but he didn't look like the same boy I knew 12 years ago. The most obvious change was a facial and neck twitch that seemed to grab him every few seconds. He explained to me that he was home for a few days from Afganistan where he had earned the Bronze Star Medal with Valor.

He reminded me about all of the talks we had and he appologized for his misbehavior years ago. He reminded me of all the times I had to call his mom when he was in trouble. Jacob looked me up at Emerson to tell me that he appreciated our motivational talks.

He also came to tell me about his tour of service in Afganistan. "Should I tell my son what I do over there?" he asked. His son doesn't understand why his daddy wakes up screaming out orders in the middle of the night. We talked some more about his job and about how he got the Bronze Star.
While his twitches increased, he told me that "someone has to die" to earn this medal. He told me the bloody details, while humbly explaining how he saved the lives of two of his buddies during an ambush.

No doubt that Jacob has returned to the battlefield. I pray that he returns to his young family quickly, and that his nightmares and twitches will some day subside.

Jacob, Veterans Day is for you.

1 comment: