Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Luigi or Farmer John?

On a whim last Friday, I decided to put on my "Farmer John" overalls and boots so that I wouldn't have to endure the annual Halloween deadpan joke- "I know, you're dressed up as a principal!" This year, they interrupted their own question, "Mr. McCombs, what are you dressed up...." when they started reading. "Farmer J...Who is that?"  But then, almost every child exclaimed, "You look like Luigi!" 

A few times during the costume parade, I wished I could have traded in my John Deere cap for a bright green beret emblazoned with an "L."  But I was Farmer John.  I knew that I looked pretty corny, but I did learn a lesson.  Our kids generally know more about Luigi, than about an archetypical farmer. 

A little disappointed, especially because Emerson has a farm fresh salad bar with locally grown produce, and a two-acre community garden, I wondered if our kids were learning enough history, fairy tales and other essentials described in E. D. Hirsch's Core Knowledge.   Don't our kids need to know a farmer when they see one? 

Yesterday a teacher shared with me that as she was reading a story to her class, there was a picture of a farmer, dressed in overalls.  Almost in unison, the students asked "oh, is that what Mr. McCombs was trying to dress up like?"  A read aloud made me, Farmer John, almost relevant!


While I think it's fine to play a game of Mario Party once in a while, I am thankful for everyone who reads to children, helping them build core knowledge.  I wonder if someday, when our kids are adults, they will dress up as Luigi and their kids will ask them "Who are you supposed to be?"

No comments:

Post a Comment