Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Electronics Before Reading?

Lately, the most common conversation that I have with parents often begins something like this: "How long do you require your child to read before letting them turn on their video games?"  Often this question is met with a blank stare, which I often interpret to say "Are you serious, Mr. McCombs, video game time is the most peaceful time of my day! Do you think that I want to enter into a non-virtual battle with my kids for an hour over reading?" 

The next conversation is similar to it: "Do you know if your child has passed a reading quiz lately?"  The parents who know what AR is (Emerson has been using Accelerated Reader for at least 8 years) still don't know how to tell if their child has passed a quiz.  "They have to take and pass a quiz EVERY week," I tell them, knowing that their child has not passed a quiz yet this year. 

A follow up conversation often continues, "Do you know your child's ZPD or reading level?"  Looking down, embarrassed, they rarely do.   I continue, "If you do decide to tell your kids to turn off the electronics and read, what do you have them read?"  Often, they proudly say that they have dozens or even hundreds of books at home to choose from.  Wanting to encourage, I ask how they decide which books are at their child's current reading level.  Looking down again, they admit that most of the books are either picture books that the child looks at, or books that are really easy reads. 

Children who are reading below grade level don't want to be caught by their friends with a thin picture book, but instead with something of Harry Potter thickness.

"Captain Underpants? Diary of a Wimpy Kid?" I suggest a few popular titles.  "No, we don't have those," followed with giggles.

The only way to really keep up with it, if they are reading an hour a day, is to take them to the public library.  Now that the Emerson library is open, they can check out two books per week.  Miss Banuelos can print a list of books in your child's reading level.  "This would be a good start," as we walk to the new library together.  "This as much as I can help you, the rest is up to you.  Remember, no electronics before reading!"

While the Kindle and other similar devices may shuffle this around a bit, the rule will still basically be the same- no playing before reading.

This conversation is so easy for me not only because of daily parent conferences, but as a reminder to myself- my own four kids LOVE electronics. Ready for battle?

No comments:

Post a Comment