Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Letter from Mr. McCombs

Dear Emerson Families,


When students transfer out of the school we try to encourage them by saying “You’ll make new friends, get to know a new place and learn to love your new school.” Sadly, I need to accept my own advice - I will be moving to another school next year as well.

When I arrived to Emerson eight years ago, together we worked to build the community garden, to bring preschool to Emerson, and to start the Camp Emerson tradition. We’ve held many parent workshops for Math, Language Arts and technology. We’ve grown from one of the smallest schools in the city, to a much larger school- both in the number of students and staff, as well as with our new buildings. More recently we’ve developed the iScholars program as well as other initiatives such as the computer labs, iPods in 4th and 5th grades, HEARTS, and “Game Day” the structured PE program. I still get teased about kissing the pig and getting a Mohawk! Together we’ve been able to build Emerson into a wonderful “mini United Nations” elementary school focused on learning.

Some of my most memorable times were not always joyous, as with the passing of a beloved teacher a few years ago, students who had to be suspended or expelled, staff layoffs, student injuries, or not meeting our school-wide AYP goals. I’ve learned a lot from these sad experiences as well- and that is why I believe that “bad” things can happen, so that we can have the opportunity to learn and grow as we walk together in this complicated life. I’ve learned a lot from the incredible Emerson staff, parents, the community and the students. Does anyone remember if I had any grey hair when I first arrived to Emerson? ;)

Despite any difficulties, I have truly loved being the Emerson principal. I’ve been so proud of the students for their learning achievements, for working so hard to meet their goals, and for working to achieve their personal best this year.

While I plan to take my own advice as I move to Madison Elementary , I will never forget the special place that you all hold in my heart. Thank you all for being such a great school family!



John McCombs

No comments:

Post a Comment