Saturday, May 21, 2011

Questions about Change

During Camp Emerson, quite few people asked me questions about the transition of principals, so I thought that I'd try to answer them here as well. 

1. Q: How is the decision made to move a principal?  A: The simple answer is that there is no formula, no seven year maximum term, or any one single reason.  Judi Paredes, the Assistant Superintendent to whom principals report, has to look at the needs of the school staffs, the achievement of the school, the community needs, and the professional strengths of the principals she supervises.  Sometimes it can be as simple as trying to find the best replacement for a retiring principal, which may create other vacancies.  It has not been common practice for elementary principals to stay at the same school for much longer than 8 years- my observation is that 5 year terms are about average in RUSD.

2. Q: Are you excited to be moving on?  A:  For me, adjusting to a big change needs to happen in phases.  Right now, I'm not feeling particularly happy about the change, but that's because I'm thinking about leaving people I care about, and I don't know the Madison community at all yet.  I'm sure that as I meet them, I'm sure that will love them too, and will become increasingly more comfortable with the move. I did start my career 20 years ago as a Spanish/ELD teacher at Sierra, which is in the same "cluster" of schools.

3. Q:  When is your last day at Emerson and your first day at Madison?  A:  I've planned to have my last day at Emerson be Friday, June 3.  If you have any last minute business, please try to see me before the last day of school.  I'll be packing, unpacking, and moving on Monday, June 6, and therefore may not be available at either site for drop in visitors or phone calls.  I will be checking my email through June 10 before taking a vacation. 

4. Q: Are you going to go back to visit Emerson?  A:  Probably not.  When the "old principal" goes back to visit, it doesn't help with the overall transition.  As Emerson meets Mr. Bouton, he'll appreciate not having me checking in on the school so that he can begin to develop relationships; not being reminded of what the "old principal" did or didn't do.  But I'll never forget the wonderful staff, families and students who I've worked with during the past 8 years. You'll forever be in my heart!


No comments:

Post a Comment